Tower and spire repairs 1899-1901
Tower and spire repairs 1899-1901

Tower & Spire Repairs 1899-1901

The tower and spire repairs were undertaken during the major church restoration of 1899-1901.

The western buttresses of the tower were rebuilt and the spire taken down and rebuilt in an improved form. The west doorway was opened out. The photograph shows the tower enclosed in scaffolding.

South-east view, after 1937

The tower and spire repairs were undertaken during the major church restoration of 1899-1901.

The western buttresses of the tower were rebuilt and the spire taken down and rebuilt in an improved form. The west doorway was opened out. The photograph shows the tower enclosed in scaffolding.

East view of St. Oswald's, 1981
East view of St. Oswald's, 1981

East view of St. Oswald’s, 1981

Here we see the five-light east window of the chancel, installed in 1926 when the chancel was rebuilt of Guiseley stone, and a new roof of English oak was made over the whole chancel.

Also, on the right, is the new vestry and organ chamber, faced outside with Guiseley stone (lined inside with brick and plastered), which replaced the wooden building of 1901. This new work was made possible through the generosity of Mr. H. C. Embleton of the Cedars, Methley, and was dedicated by the Bishop of Ripon on 17th July, 1926.

On the left is the Waterton Chapel with its four-light east window containing very old stained glass assembled from previous windows in church. In the foreground are old table tombs.

All images are available for purchase. Please quote the image reference number when ordering.