Methley Junction – Low Row and Junction Garage

This row stood beside the main A639 Leeds-Pontefract Road (Barnsdale Road). Beyond the row can be seen the end house of Long or Green Row. In the foreground is the Methley Junction Garage with petrol pumps on the small forecourt.

These were hand worked pumps, often operated by Miss Gladys Walsh, who lived in Front Row. Her brother Alfie Walsh worked in the garage repair business with the owner Mr. Glady Goldthorpe. Ultimately the petrol pumps were removed from the forecourt for safety reasons on this busy road, where there was insufficient room for cars to pull off the road to obtain petrol.

The garage was later used for car sales only.

Methley Junction – Barnsdale Road

Eight houses built adjacent and parallel to the main A639 by Rothwell Urban District Council in 1934. The road was much quieter then.

Methley Junction - Barnsdale Road.
Methley Junction - Barnsdale Road.

All images are available for purchase. Please quote the image reference number when ordering.