Little Church Lane
Here is Little Church Lane in 1986. This shows a full view of the whole of the Lane, ie. two rows of houses.
Most houses are now privately owned after being owned for a long time by the Embletons and later the Embleton Trust. Previously some were owned by the Sawyer family. The houses were built late in the 1800s and early 1900s. There are no houses shown on the 1832 map.
The larger houses in Little Church Lane
Larger houses in Little Church Lane, c.1980s. Numbers 1,3,5,7,9,11, (Holmville). Built about 1850, probably by the Longbottom family on Churchfield (they had land here in the 1840s).
They were owned by the Mexboro’ Estate Company until 1985, then Nos 7 and 9 were sold to private owners. Thomas Longbottom, builder, had land here in the 1840s.In the yard at the rear of the houses was Parrott’s workshop in the 1920s. Parrotts were related to Longbottoms.
On the area of cricket field in front of the houses in the 1930s were two grass tennis courts, which were used by people from the village.
All images are available for purchase. Please quote the image reference number when ordering.